After installing ActivTrak onto a new machine, data should begin uploading to the platform within a few minutes after the user is logged in. If data does not appear, there are several steps that can be taken in order to troubleshoot and identify the issue:
Within the ActivTrak application:
1) Confirm that you have installed the Agent during a scheduled monitoring time. New users are automatically assigned to the Default Schedule, so it is often easiest to keep it 24/7. If the install happens outside of the scheduled times, the user will appear the next time they are active on the machine during the Default Schedule. You can view, edit, and apply schedules to users here: Scheduling.
2) Verify that the user you are expecting to see is not on the Do Not Track list. If they are on this list, they will need to be removed in order to begin collecting data from the Agent. Please note that they will not reappear within the account as a monitored user until they are active on the machine again.
On the monitored computer:
3) Ensure that you are installing the software with Admin credentials. ActivTrak can only be installed by an Admin of the machine you are attempting to monitor.
4) Ensure the installer file was not renamed. This includes your computer adding a (1) or (2) at the end of the file if there were multiple copies in your downloads. Modifying the file name will prevent the agent from being properly installed.
5) If running Catalina or later, the installer may require permission to install; the steps for granting this permission can be found in this guide.
6) MacOS includes a feature called Gatekeeper, which has options to only allow trusted software from the App Store and/or identified developers. If Gatekeeper is preventing the installation of legitimate software such as ActivTrak, the feature can be disabled either temporarily or permanently by following the steps in this guide.
7) Navigate to /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools, right-click on that folder and Get Info, then look at the bottom under Sharing & Permissions to verify Read & Write privileges for everyone. If it says "No Access", this will need to be adjusted for a successful installation.
8) In order for ActivTrak to send and retrieve data, the agent must be running. This can be checked within the Activity Monitor on the monitored machine. SCTHOST and SCTHOSTP will be listed under the 'CPU' tab. If SCTHOST and SCTHOSTP are shown, click on one of them and then click on 'Force Quit' in the top left. Once one has been done, do the same for the other. They should both reappear within a few seconds and data should begin uploading within a few minutes.
9) Ensure there are no conflicts due to security software on the monitored computer such as antivirus or firewall by allowing the following: Agent Whitelist Addresses for Antivirus and Firewall.
Note: It is possible for the agent to be disabled on some computers but not others, so you should still check whitelisting even if other computers are reporting normally. It is also possible for the agent to work for a while and then suddenly stop, for example due to an antivirus update.
10) Ensure ActivTrak is granted the proper permissions by clicking on the Apple logo in the top left and opening 'System Preferences'. Then click on 'Security and Privacy' and the 'Privacy' tab. Check the box next to scthostp under both 'Accessibility' and 'Screen Recording'.
For further assistance, please reach out to email@example.com. Paid plans can also initiate a chat session with Support while logged in to the account.
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 8 found this helpful