ActivTrak will set up your instance of ActivTrak ActivConnect in a hosted Google Cloud Account. This process usually takes less than 24 hours. We will then send your credentials to access your account for your use.
Note: You can query up to 1TB of data per month (the equivalent of 3.2GB records) which is more than enough for most customers.
Accessing ActivTrak ActivConnect
Once your Google Cloud account is setup, there are three ways you can access ActivConnect:
- Use one of ActivTrak ActivConnect Pre-Built Templates for PowerBI or Tableau to jumpstart your analysis.
- Use Google BigQuery Console to access your data via SQL queries.
- Use a BI / Data tool of your choice to access ActivConnect and create your reports from scratch.
Below are the instructions for each of the three approaches listed.
Use one of the ActivTrak ActivConnect Templates to jumpstart your analysis
Our analysis templates contain a robust set of reports in the areas of Activity & Application Usage, Productivity, Collaboration & Knowledge Management, and Compliance & Risk Management.
- Download ActivTrak ActivConnect Tableau Setup Guide
- Download ActivTrak ActivConnect Power BI Setup Guide
Use Google BigQuery Console to access your data via SQL queries
Follow the instructions below to access ActivConnect via BigQuery Console:
- Once your Google Cloud account is set up, you can verify access to your data in the ActivTrak ActivConnect instance in BigQuery by clicking on the URL below:
- This will prompt you to log in using your Google Account credentials that end with "activtrak.us".
- Once you are logged in, you will see your data instance on the left-hand side of the Google BigQuery Console (called ‘activtrak-us):
4. Query your activity data within the BigQuery console using SQL statements that access your account’s logs table within the activtrak-us. The prototypical SQL query statement should look like the select statement below. Note that youraccountnumber should be replaced with your six-digit ActivTrak account number.
Use this sample query limited to 100 rows to test you can access your data.
Select * from `activtrak-us.youraccountnumber.logs`
For reference as you start exploring your activity data, you can access a Data Dictionary describing the available fields and a Sample Data Output in the Appendix of this document.
Use a BI / Data Visualization tool of your choice to access ActivConnect and create your reports from scratch
Follow the instructions for each tool below to access ActivConnect using a BigQuery connection:
- Connect using Tableau: https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/examples_googlebigquery.htm
- Connect using PowerBI: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-connect-bigquery
- Connect using Google Data Studio: https://cloud.google.com/bigquery/docs/visualize-data-studio
- Connect using Looker: https://docs.looker.com/setup-and-management/database-config/google-bigquery
- Connect using Sisense: https://documentation.sisense.com/7-1/managing-data/connectors/google-big-query.htm
- Connect using Qlik: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/connectors/Subsystems/ODBC_connector_help/Content/Connectors_ODBC/GoogleBigQuery/Create-GBQ-Connection.htm
- Connect using Domo: https://knowledge.domo.com/Connect/Connecting_to_Data_with_Connectors/Configuring_Each_Connector/Connectors_for_IT/Google_BigQuery_Connector
- Connect using CData/Birst: https://www.cdata.com/kb/tech/bigquery-jdbc-birst.rst
- Connect using Google Sheets: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/9077536?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- Connect using MS Excel: https://cloud.google.com/community/tutorials/bigquery-from-excel
The resources below describe each of the columns available in ActivConnect.
Was this article helpful?
4 out of 6 found this helpful