NOTE: Before going through this guide step-by-step, you will need your ActivTrak.us domain account made first. You should have received a welcome email with the following information:
What you need to get started:
- Project Name
- Data Set
- View Name
- Group View Name: (usergroups)
If you did not receive this information and are unsure of whether or not this has been completed for you, please contact [email@example.com] or open a chat through the dashboard.
Set Up How-To:
Grab the Template-
Log into your ActivTrak dashboard.
Go to reports on the left-hand side.
Click on ActivConnect.
Scroll down to Power BI.
Click All of the above.
- The template will now start downloading.
Extraction and Data download setup-
- Go to your downloads folder on your computer.
- Right-click on the ActivTrak-for-PowerBI-All-of-the-above.zip.
- Extract the folder.
- Double click on the ActivTrak for Power BI.pbix template.
- Power BI Desktop will open.
- Once opened a window will appear.
- You will need to enter the correct information into the fields. (Reminder, the first 3 are listed in your welcome email)
- TimeZone: will be + - your time zone (Example: For Central Time, you would enter “-5” without the quotes.)
- DaylightSavings: False
- FocusedTime - Max Distinct Apps: 2
- FocusedTime - Max Distinct Screens: 4
- Inactive Agent: 72
- Click the yellow Load button.
- Once you click “load”, you will be asked to Authenticate with your ActivTrak.US account. Please do so at this time.
- At the bottom, you will see the data that was imported in showing 22 tabs.
- At the top right, you may need to click refresh if the report doesn’t automatically download your data.
- Click on one of the tabs of data that was imported for example the Productivity Trend and double-check you see data. If you do see data, proceed.
Important: If you do not see data or are getting an error connecting, please open a chat or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, remember to please attach relevant screenshots of the error(s) in your email or chat.
Push out your data to Power BI online-
Important- In order to publish a report to PowerBI’s Online service, you must own a license to PowerBI. Those with a free license of PBI may have limited functionality when sharing or using other features in their online PowerBI portal.
For more information on the differences between the types of PowerBI Licenses, please review the following information. Power BI licensing for users in your organization - Power BI
- Click Publish.
- A window will appear asking if you want to save your changes.
- Click Save.
- Another window will open saying “There are pending changes in your queries that haven’t been applied. Do you want to apply them?”
- Click Apply later.
- Click Publish again at the top. (So you have a local copy to modify)
- A window will open.
- Enter a File name: into the field.
- Click Save.
- Then a window will appear asking you to select a destination.
- Click My workspace.
- Click Select.
- You will now see this.
Go to Power BI-
- Click on workspaces on the left-hand side.
- Click on My workspace next above the search bar.
- You will now see the report you created.
- You will now see the same reports (tabs).
Schedule your refresh-
- On the left-hand side click on the arrow next to your workspace you are in to maximize it.
- Click on the ellipsis next to the name of the data set.
- Click on Schedule refresh.
- You will now see this screen (Keep in mind that where it says Support account, yours will be different and will say the name of your data set.)
- Click on Data source credentials.
- Click on Edit credentials.
- A new window will appear, do not change anything and click sign in.
- You will now be asked to re-authenticate through Google (Sign-in).
- Click Allow.
- Under schedule, refresh click On where it says Keep your data up to date.
- Keep Refresh frequency as Daily.
- Under Time, click Add another time.
Note: We refresh our data twice a day so for example in Central Time we will schedule at 5 am and 5 pm, please change this accordingly.
- Add two times to refresh.
- In the email field below, you can add additional people to receive the refresh failure notification email (by default, it will be the publisher of the report who receives the refresh failure email).
- Click Apply.
Note: Example email is shown below:
Note: On the screenshots below, the New look on is turned on, so if you do not have yours on, it will look different.
- Click Share at the top.
- This window will appear.
- Under Grant access, enter in the emails you want to share the report to.
- Copy the report link and click Share.
Important- no one will be able to access the report until you grant them access. When they do try to access the report and do not have access, you will receive an email.
You can click the Grant access button in the email to also give them access if you are an admin. It will take you to the access page, which is a tab on the share report.
When you grant access to a person, the default is Read-only.
Refresh if you are viewing in Power BI online-
- Click on the ellipsis.
- Click Refresh.
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful