If you've ever needed to create lots of Groups and assign users to them, you know this can be a tedious process. For many of us, lists of users and the groups/teams they belong to are easier managed in a spreadsheet. In fact, we often get these as a CSV export from another system.
That's why today we're introducing Groups Upload via CSV.
1. Navigate to Groups settings
Under Settings > Users & Groups > Groups
2. Select Upload Groups
Click Create Group and then Upload Groups
3. Download your existing Groups
Download from this window:
...or from the Download button on the Groups home screen.
- These downloads are identical and export in CSV format
- Users may appear multiple times if they are assigned to multiple groups
- Groups without users and users that are not in any groups are listed at the bottom
4. Add new Groups and assignments
For example, below are my 4 users in the 'Sales' Group. In rows 6-9, I create sub-groups and assign the users to the appropriate ones.
- The only columns required for upload are group_name and user_id (or blank if creating empty groups).
5. Export back to CSV and upload
Export your spreadsheet as a CSV. Then drag & drop or select the CSV from your file explorer:
Your results will appear after upload:
- With this version you cannot modify or delete groups or assignments
Was this article helpful?
2 out of 2 found this helpful