Screenshots should be used sparsely, and only on an as-needed basis only. We do not recommend capturing screenshots continuously.
Screenshots give administrators a clear image of user activity on computers running the ActivTrak Agent. With visual records like images and videos, it's easy to see what happened and when, the intent behind user actions, and gain insights into how teams work. This article will explain how to configure basic screenshots settings.
This can also be done by Creating Custom Alarms which is our recommended method for capturing screenshots. For reference, creating a custom alarm with the conditions (Duration greater than 20seconds) will be the same as creating a configuration alarm for 'Any' activity as shown below. By default, every account has an Alarm that is set to capture a screenshot every twenty seconds, which can be toggled on or off using the switch on the left.
Step by Step Guide:
1. To view Screenshot settings, log into the web app and use the left sidebar to navigate to Screenshots > Configuration.
2. Here any Screenshot capture settings that have already been set up will be visible, as well as the option to add more.
3. To create a new condition for capturing screenshots, do so by clicking on "New" in the top left.
4. Next a new dialogue box will appear. Once this is filled out the ActivTrak agent will look for these conditions and compare them to the user's activities:
|Website or application title contains||Tells the agent specifically what application or website to look for. For example, if you want to capture screenshots for when a monitored user is watching videos on Youtube, enter "youtube" in the field above, and the agent will start recording as soon as it sees a URL with the term "youtube" in it. Here the condition 'Any' will capture for all activity. Using the condition 'Any' on the Alarms page will not work; 'Any' is a condition for the Configuration page only.|
|For||Designate whether this is for a specific user or a specific computer.|
|Wait||Indicates how long the monitored user must be active on that webpage or application before it starts recording. The minimum is 10 seconds.|
|Take multiple screenshots||Available on the Advanced Plan, this tells the agent to take multiple screenshots when the trigger is activated. Just like with the "Wait" field, the minimum delay between screenshots is 10 seconds.|
5. Once the new capture rule is completed, it will show up in the Screenshot list.
6. Edit or Delete existing Alarms from this screen.
If you have any questions, please chat Support from the Dashboard or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Was this article helpful?
3 out of 4 found this helpful