ActivTrak For Tableau Setup Guide
Unlock the power of ActivConnect and access your ActivTrak data without the need for advanced SQL or BI knowledge. ActivConnect (Powered by BigQuery) leverages the native integration between Google BigQuery and Tableau to simplify access to your data.
You’ll be able to access, analyze and visualize millions of rows of data in a simple way allowing you to leverage the tools and techniques you are already familiar with such as formulas, charts and pivot tables while maintaining the data current through scheduled refresh options.
Note: ActivConnect is available as an add-on to customers on a paid subscription plan. Learn more about ActivConnect here.
- Pre-Setup Requirements
- Validate ActivConnect credentials
- Import your data in the Tableau desktop application
- Additional Resources
- ActivTrak paid subscription plan and the ActivTrak ActivConnect Add-on. Learn more here.
- ActivConnect user name and password will be in the format of [account_number]@activtrak.us]
Note: While this template is designed to work with all ActivTrak subscription plans, the data available for each report will vary based on your specific subscription plan type. Reports containing the Premium or Professional label on the report title indicate that the data required for those reports are only available to those license tiers.
Initial Setup Steps
Follow the steps below to configure ActivTrak’s Tableau Template using the Tableau desktop app.
Validate ActivConnect Credentials
NOTE: This step is required for new customers and to validate access to ActivConnect.
- Go to the URL provided by the ActivConnect set-up team
- Enter your [accountnumber]@activtrak.us email address
- Enter your temporary password (you will be prompted to change it)
Import your data in the Tableau desktop application
Once you have completed the steps above on your Google Cloud Console, download the “ActivTrak for Tableau.zip” file from the ActivConnect page in-app (Integrations > Connect).
- Open the provided twbx workbook file
- You will be prompted to authenticate using a Google Cloud account. Use the same credentials from Step 1. And click Allow to grant access to the ActivConnect data from Tableau.
- Close the browser window when done and switch back to Tableau Desktop
Note: A message will appear saying there was a problem connecting to the data source. This is because Tableau does not allow you to change the pre-built Data Source Connection before trying to log in.
- Click Edit Connection. Inside the error message.
- Select the parameters relevant to your account. See Image C for examples of where to find this information.
- Select the ‘events’ and ‘usergroups’ table within your dataset and drag and drop it on the right-hand side area or under Drag Tables Here
- Select user_id from events and userid from usergroups when prompted to edit the events - usergroups relationship. Close the window when done.
- When complete, the configuration should look like this:
Select the Connection on the top right as either “live” or “extract”. We suggest you use “extract” to save the data locally for faster performance.
- Timezone: Enter your relevant UTC timezone. (Numbers only. Eg: -6 is Central Time)
Daylight Savings: This is ‘False’ or ‘True’ depending on if your location observes daylight saving time.
True= Daylight Savings EnableNavigate to the Setup Guide tab to configure the Time Zone Settings
Time Zone Parameters:False = Daylight Savings Disabled
You can verify the configuration has been successful by looking at any of the report pages.
- ActivConnect Overview
- ActivConnect Data Glossary
- Additional ActivConnect, Integrations and Add-on guides
- Contact ActivTrak Support
Was this article helpful?
2 out of 3 found this helpful