Note: ActivTrak’s new Data Retention Policy and data history only apply to new ActivTrak accounts created on or after July 7, 2022. There is no change to customer accounts created prior to that date.
- What is Activtrak’s Data Retention Policy?
- How much data history is included with each ActivTrak plan?
- How is data history calculated?
- Which data types does data history apply to?
- Can I export data?
- How can I get a longer duration of data history?
- Can I set the data history time range lower than what the plan allows?
- What happens to account data history when a paid account subscription expires?
- How can I archive & retain the data before it is unavailable?
What is Activtrak’s Data Retention Policy?
ActivTrak’s Data Retention Policy refers to the set of guidelines that define the data types and duration of time that customer account data is stored by ActivTrak before it is unavailable.
Per our Data Retention Policy:
- All ActivTrak free and paid plans have access to the most recent data history for account activity data for a specified time period.
- Data history applies to user activity data only, and does not apply to any account configuration data which is stored indefinitely.
- For extended data history beyond what is included in the plan, paid accounts can purchase additional Data History Add-ons.
How much data history is included with each ActivTrak plan?
Data history is calculated on a rolling basis for the most recent time period (beginning when the Agent starts collecting data) according to the plan type. The date filters in the account will dynamically update to allow the selection of dates within the applicable data history for the purposes of running queries and reports.
How is data history calculated?
Different time periods of data history are available with each ActivTrak plan. Data history is calculated on a rolling basis – which means the oldest data is unavailable as newer data is collected, and data history for only the most recent time period specified for the plan will be available within the app.
For example – a free plan account has 30 days of data history available. On October 15, you will have access to activity data until September 15. All data prior to September 15 will be unavailable. On October 16, activity data for September 15 will be deleted and replaced by the most recent activity data for October 16, effectively allowing for a 30-day most-recent activity data history from September 16 to October 16.
Which data types does Data history apply to?
Data history applies to activity data only. All account configuration data is stored indefinitely.
- Activity data: This refers to all the daily digital activity data collected by the Agent for every user in the account. It includes Agent-captured user digital activity data such as website URLs, applications, time durations and any screenshots or alarms.
- Configuration data: This refers to ActivTrak account and user configurations and settings data such as account settings, Classification, users and groups access, and audit logs. Configuration data for all Free, Advanced and Premium plans are retained indefinitely.
Can I export data?
Yes. See recommendations in this article.
You can also leverage the ActivConnect add-on to access your data directly, connect to external data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI, etc.) and other data sources.
How can I get a longer duration of data history?
For access to longer periods of data history, you have two options:
1. Upgrade to a plan with extended data history such as Premium which offers 12 months of data history.
Can I set the data history time range lower than what the plan allows?
Admins can restrict the date filters that select user roles can query reports to allow for shorter time ranges. These can be accessed under Settings > Access > Role Access > Date Filter Options. Alternatively, if you’d like to limit the data history available at the account level for compliance reasons, please contact ActivTrak Support for assistance with configuration.
What happens to the data history if a paid account subscription expires?
When a paid account subscription expires and is not renewed, the account is automatically downgraded to a free plan. As per the free plan, the most recent 30-day data history will be available. To avoid potential issues, please review our recommended steps to take before canceling or downgrading your ActivTrak account here.
How can I archive and retain the data before it is unavailable?
See recommendations on how to export your account data in this article.
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful