FAQ: ActivTrak's Data Retention Policy & Data History
Note: ActivTrak’s new Data Retention Policy and data history only apply to new ActivTrak accounts created on or after July 7, 2022. There is no change to customers on a paid plan created prior to that date.
- What is Activtrak’s Data Retention Policy?
- How much data history is included with each ActivTrak plan?
- How is data history calculated?
- Which data types does data history apply to?
- Why is data from the earliest dates unavailable and the dates greyed out in the date filter?
- Can I retain data outside of the platform? How can I archive data?
- How can I get a longer duration of data history?
- Can I set the data history time range lower than what the plan allows?
- What happens to account data history when a paid account subscription expires?
What is Activtrak’s Data Retention Policy?
ActivTrak’s Data Retention Policy refers to the set of guidelines that define the data types and duration of time that customer account data is stored by ActivTrak before it is deleted.
Per our Data Retention Policy:
- All ActivTrak free and paid plans have access to the most recent data history for account activity data for a specified time period.
- Data history applies to user activity data only, and does not apply to any account configuration or security audit data that is stored indefinitely.
- For extended data history beyond what is included in the plan, paid accounts can purchase additional Data History Add-ons.
How much data history is included with each ActivTrak plan?
Data history is calculated on a rolling basis for the most recent time period (beginning when the Agent starts collecting data) according to the plan type. The date filters in the account dynamically update to allow the selection of dates within the applicable data history for the purposes of running queries and reports.
How is data history calculated?
Different time periods of data history are available with each ActivTrak plan. Data history is calculated on a rolling basis – which means the oldest data is unavailable and data history for only the most recent time period specified for the plan will be available within the app.
For example – a free plan account has 30 days of data history available. On October 15, you will have access to activity data back to September 15. All data prior to September 15 will be unavailable. On October 16, activity data for September 15 will be deleted and the most recent activity data for October 16 will be available, allowing for access to the most recent 30-day activity data from September 16 to October 16.
Which data types does Data history apply to?
Data history applies to activity data only. All account configuration data is stored indefinitely.
- Activity data: This refers to all the daily digital activity data collected by the Agent for every user in the account. It includes Agent-captured user digital activity data such as website URLs, applications, time durations and any screenshots or alarms.
- Configuration data: This refers to ActivTrak account and user configurations and settings data such as account settings, Classification, users and groups access, and audit logs. Configuration data for all Free, Essentials and Professional plans are retained indefinitely.
- Security Audit data: This refers to the data recorded for any changes or logins made to the account. Security audit data is available for all paid accounts. Learn more here.
Why is data from the earliest dates unavailable and the dates greyed out in the date filter?
Check if your account has crossed the threshold for available data history and when your account was created. ActivTrak grays out any dates prior to the account creation and dates beyond the account's data history. The data retention policy allows only the data for the most recent rolling window of data history to be available within the app. You can purchase Data History Add-ons to access extended data history over longer periods of time. Contact us to purchase.
Can I retain data outside of the platform? How can I archive data?
Yes. There are two options available to paid plan customers to download and save data. Free account users should upgrade to a paid plan to access these options.
- The ActivConnect Add-on: Archiving data is easily accomplished with ActivConnect, an add-on that allows for Unlimited access to download data available within the data history limits of the plan and with daily data refreshes. You can also leverage the ActivConnect add-on to access your data directly, connect to external data visualization tools using our premade templates for Tableau, PowerBI, and more, and integrate ActivTrak data with other data sources. Data available with ActivConnect follows the same data retention in the app and can be combined with an additional Data History Add-on for access to longer periods of data history.
- Export functionality in the app: Live Reports are available to export data directly from the app and saved directly to a Google Spreadsheet or a CSV. Data available with Exports follows the same data history availability as the app and can be combined with an additional Data History Add-on for access to longer periods of data history. See details on how to export your account data here.
How can I get a longer duration of data history?
For access to longer periods of data history, you have two options:
1. Upgrade to a plan with extended data history such as Professional which provides 12 months of data history.
2. Purchase Data History Add-ons (available only to paid plans) in increments of one year up to a maximum of three years.
Please contact ActivTrak Sales for more information and pricing details.
Can I set the data history time range lower than what the plan allows?
Admins can restrict the date filters that select user roles can query reports to allow for shorter time ranges. These can be accessed under Settings > Access > Role Access > Date Filter Options.
What happens to the data history if a paid account subscription expires?
When a paid account subscription expires and is not renewed, the account is automatically downgraded to a free plan. As per the free plan, the most recent 30-day data history will be available. To avoid potential issues, please review our recommended steps to take before canceling or downgrading your ActivTrak account here.
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 1 found this helpful